Archive for the ‘Toxic Mold -Charlotte NC’ Category

Envirosafe was called out to this facility which is rumored to have been built over an ancient Indian burial ground, and according to one of the staff members, “all kinds of unfortunate things have happened on this property”,  including the mysterious mold on the walls of the office. The office manager’s explanation is that she thinks they’re cursed. We at Envirosafe are looking for a more scientific explanation, such as water events, humidity issues, moisture problems in crawl space, or an HVAC unit that may be too big for their office which in turn blasts hot/cold air and knocks off quickly creating excess humidity. Updates on our finding to follow in future blog posts, but for now, two of the office employees are complaining diligently because they are experiencing symptoms such are breathing difficulty, respiratory infections, headaches, and eye irritation. Symptoms which they say subside when they leave the building. To learn more about mold and our remediation process, go to our website at or  The short video below is shows the mysterious mold. Unfortunately, I could not get the rest of my interview with the building occupants to upload.

Envirosafe is much more than an environmental pest control firm. We protect home, health, and the Environment with services including radon mitigation, asbestos abatement, lead paint abatement, toxic mold remediation and even demo and underground storage tank removal. Our website for Environmental Services other that pest contol is  otherwise our general website for pest control is or

Very often our services will overlap. Case in point this project in Locust, North Carolina where, as you guys can see in the video, Jarrod Goforth of Home Spectors demonstrates significant termite damage to a structure. This damage was revealed after our firm removed all the asbestos siding. Mold, Carpenter ants and oddly enough, an infestation of fleas from vermin entering the crawl space. The fleas were so bad, they were getting underneath our tyvek suits and making meals out of our environmental workers. Below is the video we made at the project to demonstrate just how badly termites can damage a structure. For more information on Termites and our control plans, please visit us online at or


My firm, Envirosafe started in the mold remediation business back in the mid 90’s before most people even realized what mold really was. We were doing moisture control and some water restoration. Those were the days before the “mold is gold” industry evolved. We also were doing a primitive form of mold remediation by treating structural members with borates. Although the treatment was targeted at powder post beetles, we were unknowingly performing preventative treatments for mold.

In the year 2000, I decided to aggressively market the mold business. After all, this was a perfect add on business to my Environmental Asbestos Abatement, Lead Paint Remediation, and Radon Mitigation, and environmental pest control business that I had already established for my firm, Envirosafe. Having an established business of my own gave me many opportunities to try other business such as home inspections, (which by the way, failed). Otherwise, I’ve been very successful in my business ventures. One Saturday evening back in 2000 I watched an episode of CBS’s 48 hours entitled “Invisible Killers”. It was about toxic mold and featured Dr. David Strauss, Micorbiology Professor of Texas Tech University. The following Monday, I called Dr. Strauss and discussed mold and the mold remediation business with him. He informed me that the following month he was hosting a mold conference in Corpus Christi Texas. Patty wasn’t happy about me leaving for a week since Jude was only about two months old at the time, but I booked a flight and spent a week in Texas learning about remediation protocol, testing protocol, and making contacts. I learned about the protocols and standards for remediation and hooked up with Assured Indoor Air Quality out of Dallas Texas. Assured Indoor Air Quality basically sub contracted me for all their testing and remediation work in the Carolinas. It was a win, win for me at the time, but eventually their greed, or maybe mine, ended our working relationship. The support and connections to the Texas Tech microbiology lab was invaluable to my learning experience. In the years that followed, I figured out how to conquer google search results and my Environmental business including the mold remediation is booming. Check us out at We’re now the largest Environmental firm in the Charlotte area and perform mold remediation for Real Estate Transaction, Water Restoration Companies, and Relocation Companies, and many other circumstances….


Before writing this blog submission I did a google search on toxic mold and four images on the google image search results were of the late Brittany Murphy. It’s no secret amongst those of us in the Environmental field, and many experts and industry leaders are in agreement that toxic mold took out both Brittany Murphy AND her husband. I’ve seen it myself, clients dieing even before we get to the remediation in their home. Clients in their 30’s, 40’s, and otherwise with no health problems. I’ve also learned from experience sensitivity to mold increases with exposure and over the years I have become more susceptible to mold exposure.. I feel it when I walk out of containment.

Mold produces spores which produces mycotoxins. Some mold spores are more toxic than others. Although unseen by the naked eye, mold spores are ingested and then enter the body through the skin, mucous and airways. Once ingested, mold has the requirements to colonize and spread. In doing this, it can compromise the immune system and damage everyday processes of the body. (Dr. Ogg). … Many people have sensitivities to different molds, but the one mold that will hurt you is Stachybotrys. Back when we were doing testing for Assured Indoor Air Quality, almost every chronically ill client had Stachybotrys positively identified in their homes. See the youtube video I made of Stachybotrys in a Gastonia Home at the link below..

The Gastonia homeowner was on oxygen and died within months of the video we made. I can say with authority, mold kills. Stachybotrys however, does have certain requirements like temperatures of at least 72 degrees, and a cellulose host (wood, paper, or cardboard) that maintains at least 25% moisture content. Often we find Stachybotrys under sinks and behind refrigerators where homeowners were unaware of the moisture problem until mold growth is well established.

This is my entry for January 31, 2012, the day of my baby girl’s birthday. Off to Outback for a celebration and remember folks, I blog because it helps my google rank only…. Otherwise I wouldn’t waste time with this nonsense.

Rodney Allman, CIE

Envirosafe Environmental Services

1800 Camden Rd

Charlotte NC 28203